Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loading the ferry, Kyleakin
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00171
PLACENAME
Kyleakin
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Strath
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
11900
KEYWORDS
ferry
Kyleakin
transport
Castle Maol
pier
Loading the ferry, Kyleakin

Kyleakin has been the main crossing point on Skye from the mainland at least since the 17th century. Until the mid-1930s, only one car at a time could be transported across the strait, fixed to a couple of planks in the early days of motorised transport. Caisteal Maol (Moil or Moyle) stands in a prominent position in the background. The present castle probably dates from the 15th century and was home to the MacKinnons until the 17th century.

The ferry boat is the "Kyleakin", built in 1928. In the 1950s she went to work on the Kylehrea - Glenelg route. She met her end in 1959, being wrecked during a storm in Broadford Bay.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loading the ferry, Kyleakin

INVERNESS: Strath

1920s; 1930s

ferry; Kyleakin; transport; Castle Maol; pier

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Kyleakin has been the main crossing point on Skye from the mainland at least since the 17th century. Until the mid-1930s, only one car at a time could be transported across the strait, fixed to a couple of planks in the early days of motorised transport. Caisteal Maol (Moil or Moyle) stands in a prominent position in the background. The present castle probably dates from the 15th century and was home to the MacKinnons until the 17th century.<br /> <br /> The ferry boat is the "Kyleakin", built in 1928. In the 1950s she went to work on the Kylehrea - Glenelg route. She met her end in 1959, being wrecked during a storm in Broadford Bay. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />