Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
On the ferry, Strome Ferry
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00190
PLACENAME
Strome Ferry
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
11917
KEYWORDS
ferry
car
loch
Loch Carron
ferries
cars
ferry boats
On the ferry, Strome Ferry

Stromeferry lies on the southern shore of the Loch Carron narrows, with North Strome, seen here in the background, on the opposite side. The railway from Dingwall terminated at Stromeferry until 1897, with regular steamer services meeting the trains. The "ferry" referred to in the name crossed to North Strome and was once a vital link in the road network from Kyle of Lochalsh to Achnasheen, Dingwall and Inverness. When a road was built in 1970 along the southern shore of the loch, alongside the railway line, the ferry serviced closed and the sign for the village now reads "Stromeferry (No Ferry)"

When the Kyle road was closed by landslides in 2012, however, the ferry at Strome was reinstated briefly for foot passengers, especially school children, saving them a very long daily road journey.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

On the ferry, Strome Ferry

ROSS: Lochalsh

1940s

ferry; car; loch; Loch Carron; ferries; cars; ferry boats

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Stromeferry lies on the southern shore of the Loch Carron narrows, with North Strome, seen here in the background, on the opposite side. The railway from Dingwall terminated at Stromeferry until 1897, with regular steamer services meeting the trains. The "ferry" referred to in the name crossed to North Strome and was once a vital link in the road network from Kyle of Lochalsh to Achnasheen, Dingwall and Inverness. When a road was built in 1970 along the southern shore of the loch, alongside the railway line, the ferry serviced closed and the sign for the village now reads "Stromeferry (No Ferry)"<br /> <br /> When the Kyle road was closed by landslides in 2012, however, the ferry at Strome was reinstated briefly for foot passengers, especially school children, saving them a very long daily road journey. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />