Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Balmacara House
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00206
PLACENAME
Balmacara
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
11933
KEYWORDS
Sir Daniel Hamilton
Balmacara
Matheson
National Trust for Scotland
Balmacara House

In 1801 Sir Hugh Innes purchased what is now the Lochalsh Estate, and built Balmacara House. Sir Alexander Matheson bought the estate from him, then in 1918 Sir Daniel and Margaret Hamilton purchased Balmacara, and came to live there permanently in 1925. The main house has been enlarged over the years, and outbuildings have gone through various uses from laundry, stables and barns, to farm workers and gardeners' housing. Balmacara House and the 8,770 acre Lochalsh Estate were bequeathed to the National Trust for Scotland, and formally handed over in 1947.

In this photograph a group of people are seen outside the garage building, and there appears to be some construction work on the shore just in front of the house


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Balmacara House

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s; 1940s

Sir Daniel Hamilton; Balmacara; Matheson; National Trust for Scotland

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

In 1801 Sir Hugh Innes purchased what is now the Lochalsh Estate, and built Balmacara House. Sir Alexander Matheson bought the estate from him, then in 1918 Sir Daniel and Margaret Hamilton purchased Balmacara, and came to live there permanently in 1925. The main house has been enlarged over the years, and outbuildings have gone through various uses from laundry, stables and barns, to farm workers and gardeners' housing. Balmacara House and the 8,770 acre Lochalsh Estate were bequeathed to the National Trust for Scotland, and formally handed over in 1947.<br /> <br /> In this photograph a group of people are seen outside the garage building, and there appears to be some construction work on the shore just in front of the house <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />