Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
MV 'Lochmor' and MV 'Lochearn'
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00231
PLACENAME
Kyleakin
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Strath
DATE OF IMAGE
1931
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
11958
KEYWORDS
M.V. Lochmor
M.V. Lochearn
MacBrayne's
Captain Robertson
steamers
MV 'Lochmor' and MV 'Lochearn'

The sister ships 'Lochmor' and 'Lochearn', with a tonnage of 542, were built for the MacBrayne company in 1930 for the Inner and Outer Isles services. MV 'Lochmor' sailed the west coast of Skye, coming from Mallaig, then out to Harris and Uist. She was also used for cruises from Mallaig to Loch Scavaig on Skye for tourist trips to Loch Coruisk. MV 'Lochearn' was used mainly on the Inner Island mail service to Tobermory, Coll, Tiree, Barra and South Uist until 1955. Some people were unimpressed by the new ships, with their small funnels and almost vertical masts. However, the accommodation on board was a big improvement on previous ships on the routes.

This photograph shows an unusual situation, with both ships lying alongside each other off Kyleakin. They had evidently broken down and the old Glencoe was called in to assist them. Duncan Macpherson, the photographer, was well acquainted with the skipper of the Lochmor, Captain Robertson. Indeed, Captain Robertson was one of the most well known officers of the MacBrayne fleet, known to everyone as "Squeaky" due to his high-pitched Highland voice


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

MV 'Lochmor' and MV 'Lochearn'

INVERNESS: Strath

1930s

M.V. Lochmor; M.V. Lochearn; MacBrayne's; Captain Robertson; steamers

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

The sister ships 'Lochmor' and 'Lochearn', with a tonnage of 542, were built for the MacBrayne company in 1930 for the Inner and Outer Isles services. MV 'Lochmor' sailed the west coast of Skye, coming from Mallaig, then out to Harris and Uist. She was also used for cruises from Mallaig to Loch Scavaig on Skye for tourist trips to Loch Coruisk. MV 'Lochearn' was used mainly on the Inner Island mail service to Tobermory, Coll, Tiree, Barra and South Uist until 1955. Some people were unimpressed by the new ships, with their small funnels and almost vertical masts. However, the accommodation on board was a big improvement on previous ships on the routes.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows an unusual situation, with both ships lying alongside each other off Kyleakin. They had evidently broken down and the old Glencoe was called in to assist them. Duncan Macpherson, the photographer, was well acquainted with the skipper of the Lochmor, Captain Robertson. Indeed, Captain Robertson was one of the most well known officers of the MacBrayne fleet, known to everyone as "Squeaky" due to his high-pitched Highland voice <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>