Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Skye ferry and the Lochalsh Hotel
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00249
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
11974
KEYWORDS
jetty
ferry
Skye
hotel
Kyle of Lochalsh
Skye ferry and the Lochalsh Hotel

The jetty in the foreground was used for the small ferry boats crossing to Kyleakin on Skye, and to Glenelg. Kyle of Lochalsh has been the location of a ferry since the 17th century, but it was not until the extension of the railway to Kyle in 1897 that traffic using it increased rapidly. The ferry gradually improved to cope with the increase in traffic, but even with a turntable and ramps, could still only carry one vehicle. The Station Hotel, road and jetty were owned for many years by the LMS - London Midland Scottish Railway Company, however the hotel changed ownership and expanded and was upgraded, changing its name in the process to the Lochalsh Hotel


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Skye ferry and the Lochalsh Hotel

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

jetty; ferry; Skye; hotel; Kyle of Lochalsh

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

The jetty in the foreground was used for the small ferry boats crossing to Kyleakin on Skye, and to Glenelg. Kyle of Lochalsh has been the location of a ferry since the 17th century, but it was not until the extension of the railway to Kyle in 1897 that traffic using it increased rapidly. The ferry gradually improved to cope with the increase in traffic, but even with a turntable and ramps, could still only carry one vehicle. The Station Hotel, road and jetty were owned for many years by the LMS - London Midland Scottish Railway Company, however the hotel changed ownership and expanded and was upgraded, changing its name in the process to the Lochalsh Hotel <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />