Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plockton Parish Church
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00258
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
11984
KEYWORDS
Plockton
church
Thomas Telford
Parliamentary church
Plockton Parish Church

The Plockton Parish Church opened in 1827, one of the 'Telford' or 'Parliamentary' churches. This term referred to an Act of Parliament which allowed appointment of commissioners to organize the building of 40 churches with £1500 maximum budget per site. Thomas Telford was the consulting engineer and chief surveyor, with all churches to a standard design. The land for this church was given by Sir Hugh Innes, with contractors John Davidson and Thomas MacFarlane. The initial seating was for 312, with a later expansion to accomodate 500 paid by Issac Lillingston. The manse was sold latterly with proceeds used to upgrade the church to today's standards.

The car seen outside the church is a 1954 Hillman Minx.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plockton Parish Church

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

Plockton; church; Thomas Telford; Parliamentary church

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

The Plockton Parish Church opened in 1827, one of the 'Telford' or 'Parliamentary' churches. This term referred to an Act of Parliament which allowed appointment of commissioners to organize the building of 40 churches with £1500 maximum budget per site. Thomas Telford was the consulting engineer and chief surveyor, with all churches to a standard design. The land for this church was given by Sir Hugh Innes, with contractors John Davidson and Thomas MacFarlane. The initial seating was for 312, with a later expansion to accomodate 500 paid by Issac Lillingston. The manse was sold latterly with proceeds used to upgrade the church to today's standards.<br /> <br /> The car seen outside the church is a 1954 Hillman Minx. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />