Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plockton Parish Church
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00258_AT
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
2008
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
11985
KEYWORDS
churches
Thomas Telford
Plockton Parish Church

The Plockton Parish Church opened in 1827, one of the 'Telford' or 'Parliamentary' churches. This term referred to an Act of Parliament which allowed appointment of commissioners to organize the building of 40 churches with £1500 maximum budget per site. Thomas Telford was the consulting engineer and chief surveyor, with all churches to a standard design. The land for this church was given by Sir Hugh Innes, with contractors John Davidson and Thomas MacFarlane. The initial seating was for 312, with a later expansion to accomodate 500 paid by Issac Lillingston. The manse was sold latterly with proceeds used to upgrade the church to today's standards.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plockton Parish Church

ROSS: Lochalsh

2000s

churches; Thomas Telford;

Andrew Taylor

The Plockton Parish Church opened in 1827, one of the 'Telford' or 'Parliamentary' churches. This term referred to an Act of Parliament which allowed appointment of commissioners to organize the building of 40 churches with £1500 maximum budget per site. Thomas Telford was the consulting engineer and chief surveyor, with all churches to a standard design. The land for this church was given by Sir Hugh Innes, with contractors John Davidson and Thomas MacFarlane. The initial seating was for 312, with a later expansion to accomodate 500 paid by Issac Lillingston. The manse was sold latterly with proceeds used to upgrade the church to today's standards.