Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Duncraig Castle and nursing staff
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00284
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12011
KEYWORDS
Duncraig Castle
nurses
sailors
Naval officers
Duncraig Castle and nursing staff

For the duration of the War, Duncraig Castle, a large Baronial mansion east of Plockton was requisitioned for use as a Royal Naval Hospital. This photograph shows some of the staff on the front lawn. Designed by Alexander Ross, it was built in 1866 for Sir Alexander Matheson, who had bought the Lochalsh Estate in 1851. Duncraig was owned by Sir Daniel and Lady Hamilton when it was requisitioned in 1939. After Sir Daniel Hamilton's death, Lady Hamilton gifted the castle and contents to the education authority for use as a domestic science college. The college operated until 1989, then remained empty for some years before being sold to a private owner


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Duncraig Castle and nursing staff

ROSS: Lochalsh

1940s

Duncraig Castle; nurses; sailors; Naval officers

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

For the duration of the War, Duncraig Castle, a large Baronial mansion east of Plockton was requisitioned for use as a Royal Naval Hospital. This photograph shows some of the staff on the front lawn. Designed by Alexander Ross, it was built in 1866 for Sir Alexander Matheson, who had bought the Lochalsh Estate in 1851. Duncraig was owned by Sir Daniel and Lady Hamilton when it was requisitioned in 1939. After Sir Daniel Hamilton's death, Lady Hamilton gifted the castle and contents to the education authority for use as a domestic science college. The college operated until 1989, then remained empty for some years before being sold to a private owner <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>