Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loch Alsh
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00378
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12095
KEYWORDS
loch
Navy
Loch Alsh
Kyle of Lochalsh
war
Port Napier
Lochalsh
Loch Alsh

Kyle of Lochalsh was an important Naval base in both World Wars. Shortly after World War II began in September 1939, Loch Alsh was taken over as a safe naval harbour, with the southern entrance sealed at Kylerhea, and the northern approach heavily guarded. In his book 'Lure of the West', Duncan Macpherson describes the effect on Kyle of Lochalsh of the arrival of naval personnel and equipment, with gunposts erected on hill-tops, large ships moored offshore and a naval camp based in the village.

The villagers became accustomed to the air raid warnings and the sentries stationed at the Plock, but were horrified on Wednesday 27 September 1940 when word spread that the Port Napier, moored in the loch and carrying 500 mines, had caught fire. The steamers Lochness and Lochnevis, in harbour at the time, sailed out at full speed, the incoming train was stopped at Stromeferry,and the ship itself was abandoned. It exploded later that day and continued to burn throughout the night before eventually sinking in the loch where it remains to this day


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loch Alsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s; 1930s

loch; Navy; Loch Alsh; Kyle of Lochalsh; war; Port Napier; Lochalsh

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Kyle of Lochalsh was an important Naval base in both World Wars. Shortly after World War II began in September 1939, Loch Alsh was taken over as a safe naval harbour, with the southern entrance sealed at Kylerhea, and the northern approach heavily guarded. In his book 'Lure of the West', Duncan Macpherson describes the effect on Kyle of Lochalsh of the arrival of naval personnel and equipment, with gunposts erected on hill-tops, large ships moored offshore and a naval camp based in the village.<br /> <br /> The villagers became accustomed to the air raid warnings and the sentries stationed at the Plock, but were horrified on Wednesday 27 September 1940 when word spread that the Port Napier, moored in the loch and carrying 500 mines, had caught fire. The steamers Lochness and Lochnevis, in harbour at the time, sailed out at full speed, the incoming train was stopped at Stromeferry,and the ship itself was abandoned. It exploded later that day and continued to burn throughout the night before eventually sinking in the loch where it remains to this day <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />