Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Francis Street, Dornie
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00420
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12132
KEYWORDS
Dornie
thatched house
village
Francis Street, Dornie

Dornie is situated at the foot of two lochs, Loch Long and Loch Duich, hence its original Gaelic name of Bundalloch. The British Fisheries Society laid out the village in 1794 as a fishing and trading station, on land belonging to Colonel Francis Humberston Mackenzie of Seaforth. Until the 1870s, many of the population were involved with the herring industry, both curing and selling, but boatbuilding and net and shoemaking were also popular trades. The village was by-passed by a bridge over Loch Long in April 1940.

This particular photograph is one of the illustrations in Duncan Macpherson's book "Lure of the West", and a similar shot taken some years previously, shows that the thatched house had been whitewashed and rethatched by the time this photograph was taken


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Francis Street, Dornie

ROSS: Lochalsh

1940s

Dornie; thatched house; village

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Dornie is situated at the foot of two lochs, Loch Long and Loch Duich, hence its original Gaelic name of Bundalloch. The British Fisheries Society laid out the village in 1794 as a fishing and trading station, on land belonging to Colonel Francis Humberston Mackenzie of Seaforth. Until the 1870s, many of the population were involved with the herring industry, both curing and selling, but boatbuilding and net and shoemaking were also popular trades. The village was by-passed by a bridge over Loch Long in April 1940. <br /> <br /> This particular photograph is one of the illustrations in Duncan Macpherson's book "Lure of the West", and a similar shot taken some years previously, shows that the thatched house had been whitewashed and rethatched by the time this photograph was taken <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>