Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Francis Street, Dornie
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00422
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12134
KEYWORDS
Dornie
thatched house
village
Francis Street, Dornie

Dornie is situated at the foot of two lochs, Loch Long and Loch Duich, hence its original Gaelic name of Bundalloch. The British Fisheries Society laid out the village in 1794 as a fishing and trading station, on land belonging to Colonel Francis Humberston Mackenzie of Seaforth. Until the 1870s, many of the population were involved with the herring industry, both curing and selling, but boat building and net and shoe making were also popular trades. The village was by-passed by a bridge over Loch Long in April 1940.

Note the shadowy silhouette of Eilean Donan Castle to the right of the middle tree in the background, indicating that the photograph must have been taken after 1932


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Francis Street, Dornie

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s; 1940s

Dornie; thatched house; village

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Dornie is situated at the foot of two lochs, Loch Long and Loch Duich, hence its original Gaelic name of Bundalloch. The British Fisheries Society laid out the village in 1794 as a fishing and trading station, on land belonging to Colonel Francis Humberston Mackenzie of Seaforth. Until the 1870s, many of the population were involved with the herring industry, both curing and selling, but boat building and net and shoe making were also popular trades. The village was by-passed by a bridge over Loch Long in April 1940.<br /> <br /> Note the shadowy silhouette of Eilean Donan Castle to the right of the middle tree in the background, indicating that the photograph must have been taken after 1932 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>