Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
King's Arms Hotel and the shore, Kyleakin, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00456
PLACENAME
Kyleakin
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Strath
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12164
KEYWORDS
village
hotel
shore
war memorial
Casteal Maol
loch
King's Arms Hotel and the shore, Kyleakin, Isle of Skye

The wide grassy verge fronting Kyleakin in this panoramic photograph was a feature of the village before an increase in traffic, due to the ferry to the mainland, necessitated much of the grass being replaced with a car park. The King's Arms Hotel on the right originally comprised the Kyleakin Hotel, built by J. Gillespie Graham around 1812 - 20, and a shooting lodge. Around 1898 the shooting lodge was converted into an hotel and both were combined in 1900 to become the King's Arms. At that time it was tenanted by Mr and Mrs Donald MacInnes, and remained the only licensed premises in the village until the outbreak of World War ll. Some of the well known guests to have stayed at the hotel include Thomas Carlyle, H.M. Stanley the explorer, and Sir Henry Wood the famous conductor. A later proprietor, Donald Skinner, is remembered for being the first to introduce bus tours to various parts of Skye. The War Memorial, erected in 1921, with Casteal Maol to its right, is visible beyond the remains of the wooden pier, with the mountains of Kintail in the distance. Kyle of Lochalsh lies on the left across Loch Alsh


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

King's Arms Hotel and the shore, Kyleakin, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Strath

1920s

village; hotel; shore; war memorial; Casteal Maol; loch

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

The wide grassy verge fronting Kyleakin in this panoramic photograph was a feature of the village before an increase in traffic, due to the ferry to the mainland, necessitated much of the grass being replaced with a car park. The King's Arms Hotel on the right originally comprised the Kyleakin Hotel, built by J. Gillespie Graham around 1812 - 20, and a shooting lodge. Around 1898 the shooting lodge was converted into an hotel and both were combined in 1900 to become the King's Arms. At that time it was tenanted by Mr and Mrs Donald MacInnes, and remained the only licensed premises in the village until the outbreak of World War ll. Some of the well known guests to have stayed at the hotel include Thomas Carlyle, H.M. Stanley the explorer, and Sir Henry Wood the famous conductor. A later proprietor, Donald Skinner, is remembered for being the first to introduce bus tours to various parts of Skye. The War Memorial, erected in 1921, with Casteal Maol to its right, is visible beyond the remains of the wooden pier, with the mountains of Kintail in the distance. Kyle of Lochalsh lies on the left across Loch Alsh <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>