Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plockton
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00461
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12169
KEYWORDS
Plockton
village
mountains
loch
zoomable images

This view of Plockton was taken from across the Obbe (Gaelic for creek or harbour), probably at Creag nan Garadh. Plockton was laid out as a modern village in about 1794 for Lord Seaforth. The new owner of the estate in 1808, Sir Hugh Innes, provided homes for his cleared tenants here. For many years they derived their main income from shipbuilding and fishing. In 1851 Sir Alexander Matheson bought the Lochalsh Estate and some years later built Duncraig castle overlooking this bay. The largest building behind the houses fronting the shore is the school. On the far left is the "Tin Temple", the old United Free Church, which has since been demolished


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plockton

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s; 1930s

Plockton; village; mountains; loch; zoomable images

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

This view of Plockton was taken from across the Obbe (Gaelic for creek or harbour), probably at Creag nan Garadh. Plockton was laid out as a modern village in about 1794 for Lord Seaforth. The new owner of the estate in 1808, Sir Hugh Innes, provided homes for his cleared tenants here. For many years they derived their main income from shipbuilding and fishing. In 1851 Sir Alexander Matheson bought the Lochalsh Estate and some years later built Duncraig castle overlooking this bay. The largest building behind the houses fronting the shore is the school. On the far left is the "Tin Temple", the old United Free Church, which has since been demolished <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>