Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plockton across the Obbe
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00463
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12171
KEYWORDS
village
Plockton
school
church
railway
zoomable images

This view of Plockton was taken from across the Obbe (Gaelic for creek or harbour), probably at Creag nan Garadh. Plockton was laid out as a modern village in about 1794 for Lord Seaforth. The new owner of the estate by 1801, Sir Hugh Innes, provided homes for his cleared tenants here. For many years, they derived their main income from shipbuilding and fishing. In 1851 Sir Alexander Matheson bought the Lochalsh Estate and some years later built Duncraig castle overlooking this bay. The two largest buildings in the photograph are the school, in the centre, and the United Free Church, sometimes known as the 'Tin Temple'. It was built of corrugated iron by R.R. Speirs of Glasgow around 1910, and demolished in the 1970s


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plockton across the Obbe

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s; 1940s

village; Plockton; school; church; railway; zoomable images

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

This view of Plockton was taken from across the Obbe (Gaelic for creek or harbour), probably at Creag nan Garadh. Plockton was laid out as a modern village in about 1794 for Lord Seaforth. The new owner of the estate by 1801, Sir Hugh Innes, provided homes for his cleared tenants here. For many years, they derived their main income from shipbuilding and fishing. In 1851 Sir Alexander Matheson bought the Lochalsh Estate and some years later built Duncraig castle overlooking this bay. The two largest buildings in the photograph are the school, in the centre, and the United Free Church, sometimes known as the 'Tin Temple'. It was built of corrugated iron by R.R. Speirs of Glasgow around 1910, and demolished in the 1970s <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>