Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Eilean Donan Castle
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00466
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12174
KEYWORDS
mountains
loch
castle
road
Lochalsh
zoomable images

The newly-reconstructed Eilean Donan Castle is viewed here looking down Loch Duich to where it meets Loch Alsh and Loch Long. The photograph was probably taken from the old road, possibly the viewpoint on Carr Brae, which is higher up the hill than the present road which hugs the coast. The small island may have been inhabited from as far back as the 3rd century, but the original castle was built in the 13th century. It was owned by the MacRaes for some 400 years, but was destroyed by government naval forces in 1719 when occupied by Spanish and Jacobite troops. The present castle was reconstructed from the ruins by Lt. Colonel MacRae-Gilstrap and completed in 1932, becoming surely one of the most photographed castles in Scotland


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Eilean Donan Castle

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s; 1940s

mountains; loch; castle; road; Lochalsh; zoomable images

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

The newly-reconstructed Eilean Donan Castle is viewed here looking down Loch Duich to where it meets Loch Alsh and Loch Long. The photograph was probably taken from the old road, possibly the viewpoint on Carr Brae, which is higher up the hill than the present road which hugs the coast. The small island may have been inhabited from as far back as the 3rd century, but the original castle was built in the 13th century. It was owned by the MacRaes for some 400 years, but was destroyed by government naval forces in 1719 when occupied by Spanish and Jacobite troops. The present castle was reconstructed from the ruins by Lt. Colonel MacRae-Gilstrap and completed in 1932, becoming surely one of the most photographed castles in Scotland <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>