Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Eilean Donan Castle
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00471
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
1932
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12178
KEYWORDS
castle
Eilean Donan
loch
people
zoomable images

A long procession of people is seen here following a pipe band towards Eilean Donan Castle. Marquees have been set up, and the occasion is almost certainly the formal opening of the reconstucted castle in July 1932, when the War Memorial was also unveiled. The small island on which the castle was built may have been inhabited from as far back as the 3rd century, but the original castle was built in the 13th century. It was owned by the MacRaes for some 400 years, but was destroyed by government naval forces in 1719 when occupied by Spanish and Jacobite troops. The island was bought in 1913, and the present castle was reconstructed from the ruins by Farquhar MacRae for Lt. Colonel MacRae-Gilstrap. The castle was completed in 1932, becoming surely one of the most photographed castles in Scotland


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Eilean Donan Castle

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

castle; Eilean Donan; loch; people; zoomable images

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

A long procession of people is seen here following a pipe band towards Eilean Donan Castle. Marquees have been set up, and the occasion is almost certainly the formal opening of the reconstucted castle in July 1932, when the War Memorial was also unveiled. The small island on which the castle was built may have been inhabited from as far back as the 3rd century, but the original castle was built in the 13th century. It was owned by the MacRaes for some 400 years, but was destroyed by government naval forces in 1719 when occupied by Spanish and Jacobite troops. The island was bought in 1913, and the present castle was reconstructed from the ruins by Farquhar MacRae for Lt. Colonel MacRae-Gilstrap. The castle was completed in 1932, becoming surely one of the most photographed castles in Scotland <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>