Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree harbour
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00479
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12186
KEYWORDS
Portree
harbour
apothecary's tower
Meall
zoomable images

This photograph was taken from Bosville Terrace looking across to Portree Harbour, with the wooded Meall or "Lump" behind. The small tower in sillhouette on the Meall is the Apothecary's Tower. The original was built in 1834 as a dispensary by local GP Dr Alexander Macleod. Gale force winds finally demolished the ruined tower in 1990, but it was rebuilt


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree harbour

INVERNESS: Portree

1950s

Portree; harbour; apothecary's tower; Meall; zoomable images

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

This photograph was taken from Bosville Terrace looking across to Portree Harbour, with the wooded Meall or "Lump" behind. The small tower in sillhouette on the Meall is the Apothecary's Tower. The original was built in 1834 as a dispensary by local GP Dr Alexander Macleod. Gale force winds finally demolished the ruined tower in 1990, but it was rebuilt <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>