Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kyleakin and Eilean Ban
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00491
PLACENAME
Eilean Ban
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12198
KEYWORDS
lighthouse
island
Eilean Ban
yacht
village
zoomable images

This photograph, taken from the deck of a yacht, looks north-west through Kyleakin, or Haco's Strait, past the lighthouse on Eilean Ban to the hills of Skye. The lighthouse, with its 70ft tower, was built in 1857 from brick and rubble. The two keepers and their families were housed in the two cottages on the island, the children being ferried to school at Kyleakin, just visible on the left of the photograph. The lighthouse became automatic in 1960.

The island and cottages were bought in 1963 by Gavin Maxwell, author and naturalist, with plans to turn it into a wild-life park, but his early death a few years later prevented these from reaching fruition. The island now acts as a support for the Skye Bridge, but is owned by a Trust, including the Born Free Foundation, which seeks to conserve the island's environment


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kyleakin and Eilean Ban

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

lighthouse; island; Eilean Ban; yacht; village; zoomable images

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

This photograph, taken from the deck of a yacht, looks north-west through Kyleakin, or Haco's Strait, past the lighthouse on Eilean Ban to the hills of Skye. The lighthouse, with its 70ft tower, was built in 1857 from brick and rubble. The two keepers and their families were housed in the two cottages on the island, the children being ferried to school at Kyleakin, just visible on the left of the photograph. The lighthouse became automatic in 1960.<br /> <br /> The island and cottages were bought in 1963 by Gavin Maxwell, author and naturalist, with plans to turn it into a wild-life park, but his early death a few years later prevented these from reaching fruition. The island now acts as a support for the Skye Bridge, but is owned by a Trust, including the Born Free Foundation, which seeks to conserve the island's environment <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>