Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ardelve and Dornie before the bridge
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00497
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12204
KEYWORDS
loch
hotel
ferry
sea
zoomable

This panoramic photograph was probably taken from a boat on Loch Duich, close to Eilean Donan Castle, with Loch Duich Hotel seen on the left. The photographer, Duncan Macpherson the Kyle pharmacist, was looking north towards the mouth of Loch Long where a ferry ran between Ardelve and Dornie, on the right of the photograph. Its last year of operation was 1939, when the ferry ran continuously from 8am to 8pm, including Sundays and bank Holidays. However a bridge was built and formally opened on 10th April 1940, ensuring that access to Lochalsh was no longer restricted by ferry timetables or bad weather. It was not until 1971 that the ferry at Strome linking the area to the north and east was done away with. A toll was imposed on the Dornie bridge for the first 6 years, but removed at the end of World War II


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ardelve and Dornie before the bridge

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

loch; hotel; ferry; sea; zoomable

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

This panoramic photograph was probably taken from a boat on Loch Duich, close to Eilean Donan Castle, with Loch Duich Hotel seen on the left. The photographer, Duncan Macpherson the Kyle pharmacist, was looking north towards the mouth of Loch Long where a ferry ran between Ardelve and Dornie, on the right of the photograph. Its last year of operation was 1939, when the ferry ran continuously from 8am to 8pm, including Sundays and bank Holidays. However a bridge was built and formally opened on 10th April 1940, ensuring that access to Lochalsh was no longer restricted by ferry timetables or bad weather. It was not until 1971 that the ferry at Strome linking the area to the north and east was done away with. A toll was imposed on the Dornie bridge for the first 6 years, but removed at the end of World War II <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />