Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Free Church Communion at Plockton
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00508
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
6 July 1924
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12215
KEYWORDS
Plockton
Communion
Free Church
congregation
zoomable

A large congregation has gathered for an outdoor service near Plockton. The Free Church held its services here after the Disruption in the Church of Scotland in 1843. Duncan Macpherson describes an outdoor communion in his first book 'Gateway to Skye' - "On the hillside above the roadway, part of a field had been enclosed by a fence and high stone wall. The congregation entered by a door in the high wall which served the dual purpose of giving seclusion and providing shelter from cold winds"

Plockton was laid out as a modern village in about 1794 for Lord Seaforth. The new owner of the estate in 1801, Sir Hugh Innes, provided homes for his cleared tenants here. For many years they derived their main income from shipbuilding and fishing. In 1851 Sir Alexander Matheson bought the Lochalsh Estate, including Plockton


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Free Church Communion at Plockton

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s

Plockton; Communion; Free Church; congregation; zoomable

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

A large congregation has gathered for an outdoor service near Plockton. The Free Church held its services here after the Disruption in the Church of Scotland in 1843. Duncan Macpherson describes an outdoor communion in his first book 'Gateway to Skye' - "On the hillside above the roadway, part of a field had been enclosed by a fence and high stone wall. The congregation entered by a door in the high wall which served the dual purpose of giving seclusion and providing shelter from cold winds"<br /> <br /> Plockton was laid out as a modern village in about 1794 for Lord Seaforth. The new owner of the estate in 1801, Sir Hugh Innes, provided homes for his cleared tenants here. For many years they derived their main income from shipbuilding and fishing. In 1851 Sir Alexander Matheson bought the Lochalsh Estate, including Plockton <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>