Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Large house and canal buildings
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00510
PLACENAME
Corpach
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmallie
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12217
KEYWORDS
Caledonian Canal
lock
loch
pier
lighthouse
Large house and canal buildings

This panoramic photograph is almost certainly of the sea lock at Corpach, where the Caledonian Canal, built by William Jessop and Thomas Telford, joins the sea at Loch Linnhe. The lock gates can be seen in the centre of the photograph, with a pier on the right in the loch, close to a "Pepper Pot" lighthouse. The large house has since been demolished, but the lighthouse is still in existence. Duncan Macpherson and his wife passed through Corpach on their way home after a holiday in the Western Isles, having sailed into Mallaig. In his book Lure of the West, Macpherson describes the Caledonian Canal as a "safe, if slow, route for fishing craft sailing between east and west, its many locks are a handicap for commercial use, but it is an ideal route for tourist and pleasure boats". The canal stretches over 60 miles through the Great Glen from Inverness to Fort William, with more than 40 miles consisting of 3 connected lochs, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy and a further 20 miles of man-made canals and 29 locks. The entrance lock and basin at Corpach were in use from 1819


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Large house and canal buildings

INVERNESS: Kilmallie

1920s; 1930s

Caledonian Canal; lock; loch; pier; lighthouse

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

This panoramic photograph is almost certainly of the sea lock at Corpach, where the Caledonian Canal, built by William Jessop and Thomas Telford, joins the sea at Loch Linnhe. The lock gates can be seen in the centre of the photograph, with a pier on the right in the loch, close to a "Pepper Pot" lighthouse. The large house has since been demolished, but the lighthouse is still in existence. Duncan Macpherson and his wife passed through Corpach on their way home after a holiday in the Western Isles, having sailed into Mallaig. In his book Lure of the West, Macpherson describes the Caledonian Canal as a "safe, if slow, route for fishing craft sailing between east and west, its many locks are a handicap for commercial use, but it is an ideal route for tourist and pleasure boats". The canal stretches over 60 miles through the Great Glen from Inverness to Fort William, with more than 40 miles consisting of 3 connected lochs, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy and a further 20 miles of man-made canals and 29 locks. The entrance lock and basin at Corpach were in use from 1819 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />