Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Open air Free Church Communion, Plockton
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00531
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
6 July 1924
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12236
KEYWORDS
communion
Free Church
zoomable

A large congregation has gathered for an outdoor service near Plockton in 1924. The wooden structure in the centre is believed to be the famous portable pulpit.

The area was used after the 1843 Disruption, when the disillusioned ministers in the Church of Scotland broke away and established the Free Church. In Plockton the breakaway movement had no church, therefore met in the open air until a Free Church was built in 1845. The open-air church is still used occasionally for services and even a wedding in 1999. "On the hillside above the roadway, part of a field had been enclosed by a fence and high stone wall. The congregation entered by a door in the high wall which served the dual purpose of giving seclusion and providing shelter from cold winds". From "Gateway to Skye", Duncan Macpherson's first book


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Open air Free Church Communion, Plockton

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s

communion; Free Church; zoomable

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

A large congregation has gathered for an outdoor service near Plockton in 1924. The wooden structure in the centre is believed to be the famous portable pulpit.<br /> <br /> The area was used after the 1843 Disruption, when the disillusioned ministers in the Church of Scotland broke away and established the Free Church. In Plockton the breakaway movement had no church, therefore met in the open air until a Free Church was built in 1845. The open-air church is still used occasionally for services and even a wedding in 1999. "On the hillside above the roadway, part of a field had been enclosed by a fence and high stone wall. The congregation entered by a door in the high wall which served the dual purpose of giving seclusion and providing shelter from cold winds". From "Gateway to Skye", Duncan Macpherson's first book <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>