Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kyleakin and Loch Alsh
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00546
PLACENAME
Loch Alsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12251
KEYWORDS
Skye Bridge, Eilean Ban, lighthouse
writers
Lochalsh
zoomable images

This photograph was taken just north of the village of Kyle, looking across Loch Alsh to Kyleakin with the magnificent Cuillin mountain range of Skye in the distance. The photograph also shows Eilean Ban, now one of the land links of the Skye Bridge. The island's lighthouse, with its 70ft tower, was built in 1857 from brick and rubble. The two keepers and their families were housed in the cottages on the island, the children being ferried to school at Kyleakin. The lighthouse became automatic in 1960.

In 1963, the author and naturalist Gavin Maxwell bought the island. He planned to turn it into a wildlife park, but died before he could do so. The island is owned by the Eilean Ban Trust, of which the Born Free Foundation is a partner. The Trust seeks to conserve the island's environment


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kyleakin and Loch Alsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

1940s

Skye Bridge, Eilean Ban, lighthouse; writers; Lochalsh; zoomable images

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

This photograph was taken just north of the village of Kyle, looking across Loch Alsh to Kyleakin with the magnificent Cuillin mountain range of Skye in the distance. The photograph also shows Eilean Ban, now one of the land links of the Skye Bridge. The island's lighthouse, with its 70ft tower, was built in 1857 from brick and rubble. The two keepers and their families were housed in the cottages on the island, the children being ferried to school at Kyleakin. The lighthouse became automatic in 1960.<br /> <br /> In 1963, the author and naturalist Gavin Maxwell bought the island. He planned to turn it into a wildlife park, but died before he could do so. The island is owned by the Eilean Ban Trust, of which the Born Free Foundation is a partner. The Trust seeks to conserve the island's environment <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>