Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plockton 'Open Air' Church
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00562
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12265
KEYWORDS
Plockton
open air church
tin temple: Free Church
RR Speirs
zoomable images
religioned

This photograph shows a large crowd of people sitting on the rocky hillside, at an 'open air' church service at Plockton. After the disruption of 1843 which saw some Church of Scotland Ministers leaving to form the Free Church, services were held in this rocky amphitheatre until a Free Church was built in 1845. "On the hillside above the roadway, part of a field had been enclosed by a fence and high stone wall. The congregation entered by a door in the high wall which served the dual purpose of giving seclusion and providing shelter from cold winds". From "Gateway to Skye", Duncan Macpherson's first book.

Services have been held there occasionally since then, and even a wedding in 1999. On the right of the photograph is the 'Plockton United Free Church, known locally as the 'Tin Temple'. It was one of Glasgow company RR Speirs' prefabricated corrugated iron churches, 75 of which were built between 1908 and 1914. This church in Plockton was built in 1910 and demolished in the 1970s


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plockton 'Open Air' Church

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

Plockton; open air church; tin temple: Free Church; RR Speirs; zoomable images; religioned

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

This photograph shows a large crowd of people sitting on the rocky hillside, at an 'open air' church service at Plockton. After the disruption of 1843 which saw some Church of Scotland Ministers leaving to form the Free Church, services were held in this rocky amphitheatre until a Free Church was built in 1845. "On the hillside above the roadway, part of a field had been enclosed by a fence and high stone wall. The congregation entered by a door in the high wall which served the dual purpose of giving seclusion and providing shelter from cold winds". From "Gateway to Skye", Duncan Macpherson's first book. <br /> <br /> Services have been held there occasionally since then, and even a wedding in 1999. On the right of the photograph is the 'Plockton United Free Church, known locally as the 'Tin Temple'. It was one of Glasgow company RR Speirs' prefabricated corrugated iron churches, 75 of which were built between 1908 and 1914. This church in Plockton was built in 1910 and demolished in the 1970s <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>