Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Erbusaig
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00597
PLACENAME
Erbusaig
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12300
KEYWORDS
village
railway
embankment
coast
crofting
camping
Erbusaig
islands
Erbusaig

Erbusaig was a crofting township north of Kyle of Lochalsh. Duncan Macpherson, the photographer, referred to the township as an 'old world village', with its low-walled cottages and heather-thatched roofs. He used Erbusaig as a backdrop for a series of photographs depicting Highland life, some of which he produced as postcards. The village had easy access to the sea until the railway line was extended to Kyle of Lochalsh from Stromeferry in 1897. In this photograph, the railway line runs along an embankment next to the shore, virtually cutting off the village from the sea and obscuring the view. The embankment was built from rock blasted from Portnacloich, close by, and a bridge was incorporated to allow for the flow of the tide. Skye is in the distance with the Black Islands, now owned by the National Trust for Scotland, just offshore. There are small tents and a vehicle in the field in the foreground


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Erbusaig

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s; 1930s

village; railway; embankment; coast; crofting; camping; Erbusaig; islands

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Erbusaig was a crofting township north of Kyle of Lochalsh. Duncan Macpherson, the photographer, referred to the township as an 'old world village', with its low-walled cottages and heather-thatched roofs. He used Erbusaig as a backdrop for a series of photographs depicting Highland life, some of which he produced as postcards. The village had easy access to the sea until the railway line was extended to Kyle of Lochalsh from Stromeferry in 1897. In this photograph, the railway line runs along an embankment next to the shore, virtually cutting off the village from the sea and obscuring the view. The embankment was built from rock blasted from Portnacloich, close by, and a bridge was incorporated to allow for the flow of the tide. Skye is in the distance with the Black Islands, now owned by the National Trust for Scotland, just offshore. There are small tents and a vehicle in the field in the foreground <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>