Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Bernera Barracks, Glenelg
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00612
PLACENAME
Glenelg
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Glenelg
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12316
KEYWORDS
barracks
Glenelg
soldiers
military
Bernera Barracks, Glenelg

The photograph shows the ruined Barracks at Glenelg. The Barracks, the last of four in the Highlands, were constructed in about 1723 to garrison Government soldiers sent to subdue the local population, control the sea lane in the Sound of Sleat and prevent any further Jacobite risings. The Grade A listed building was occupied by the military until the 1790s before being used as a poor house and shelter for people made homeless by the Clearances


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Bernera Barracks, Glenelg

INVERNESS: Glenelg

1920s

barracks; Glenelg; soldiers; military

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

The photograph shows the ruined Barracks at Glenelg. The Barracks, the last of four in the Highlands, were constructed in about 1723 to garrison Government soldiers sent to subdue the local population, control the sea lane in the Sound of Sleat and prevent any further Jacobite risings. The Grade A listed building was occupied by the military until the 1790s before being used as a poor house and shelter for people made homeless by the Clearances <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>