Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Wooden Pier, Kyleakin
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00628
PLACENAME
Kyleakin
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Strath
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12334
KEYWORDS
pier
hotel
village
lighthouse
Eilean Ban
Wooden Pier, Kyleakin

The large wooden pier extending down the beach and into the sea was probably one of a series of substantial piers built from the 1880s onwards on the west coast of Scotland to cope with increased steamer traffic. This particular pier was constructed so that the P.S. Glencoe could stop at Kyleakin to and from Kyle, Portree and Gairloch. However, it proved unsatisfactory at low tide and gradually fell into disuse, eventually being removed altogether in the late 1920s. The King's Arms Hotel can be seen on the extreme left, with Kyle House situated in the trees. Kyle House was built in 1798 and follows the style of Skye tacksman properties. The lighthouse jutting out into the strait of Kyle Akin stands at the end of a causeway leading from the keepers' cottages on Eilean Ban, an island owned by Gavin Maxwell in the 1960s and now overshadowed by the Skye Bridge. The lighthouse was constructed by the famous D. and T. Stevensons and was in operation from 1857 to 1960


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Wooden Pier, Kyleakin

INVERNESS: Strath

1920s

pier; hotel; village; lighthouse; Eilean Ban

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

The large wooden pier extending down the beach and into the sea was probably one of a series of substantial piers built from the 1880s onwards on the west coast of Scotland to cope with increased steamer traffic. This particular pier was constructed so that the P.S. Glencoe could stop at Kyleakin to and from Kyle, Portree and Gairloch. However, it proved unsatisfactory at low tide and gradually fell into disuse, eventually being removed altogether in the late 1920s. The King's Arms Hotel can be seen on the extreme left, with Kyle House situated in the trees. Kyle House was built in 1798 and follows the style of Skye tacksman properties. The lighthouse jutting out into the strait of Kyle Akin stands at the end of a causeway leading from the keepers' cottages on Eilean Ban, an island owned by Gavin Maxwell in the 1960s and now overshadowed by the Skye Bridge. The lighthouse was constructed by the famous D. and T. Stevensons and was in operation from 1857 to 1960 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />