Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plockton
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00630
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12336
KEYWORDS
Plockton
church
manse
Parliamentary church
Plockton

The village of Plockton was founded in 1794 by Col. Francis Humberston Mackenzie of Seaforth, owner of the Lochalsh estate. The plan was extended in 1801, when the estate was sold to Sir Hugh Innes. On the right of this photograph is the 'Parliamentary' or 'Telford' church, built as part of a scheme to provide Church of Scotland churches and manses throughout Scotland. The single storey manse is in the foreground. Thomas Telford was the consulting engineer and chief surveyor acting for the government. The total cost of building the church and manse was £1480.15s. Prior to their construction in 1827, the place of worship was Kirkton, 5 miles from Plockton. Today, both the Church of Scotland and the Free Church share the building for Sunday services


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plockton

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

Plockton; church; manse; Parliamentary church

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

The village of Plockton was founded in 1794 by Col. Francis Humberston Mackenzie of Seaforth, owner of the Lochalsh estate. The plan was extended in 1801, when the estate was sold to Sir Hugh Innes. On the right of this photograph is the 'Parliamentary' or 'Telford' church, built as part of a scheme to provide Church of Scotland churches and manses throughout Scotland. The single storey manse is in the foreground. Thomas Telford was the consulting engineer and chief surveyor acting for the government. The total cost of building the church and manse was £1480.15s. Prior to their construction in 1827, the place of worship was Kirkton, 5 miles from Plockton. Today, both the Church of Scotland and the Free Church share the building for Sunday services <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />