Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
King's Arms Hotel, Kyleakin, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00634
PLACENAME
Kyleakin
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Strath
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12340
KEYWORDS
hotel
village
Kyleakin
King's Arms Hotel, Kyleakin, Isle of Skye

The King's Arms Hotel originally comprised the Kyleakin Hotel, built by J. Gillespie Graham around 1812 - 20, and a shooting lodge. Around 1898 the shooting lodge was converted into an hotel and both were combined in 1900 to become the King's Arms. At that time it was tenanted by Mr and Mrs Donald MacInnes, and remained the only licensed premises in the village until the outbreak of World War ll. Some of the well known guests to have stayed at the hotel include Thomas Carlyle, H.M. Stanley the explorer, and Sir Henry Wood the famous conductor.

Donald Skinner, one of the hotel proprietors, ran the first bus tours to various parts of Skye. Before there was a telephone service to Skye, he devised a system to find out how many mainland visitors would be joining the tours each day. A colleague in Kyle would write the number on a blackboard, and Mr Skinner used a telescope from the front of the hotel to view the board and book the appropriate number of seats.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

King's Arms Hotel, Kyleakin, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Strath

1920s; 1930s

hotel; village;Kyleakin

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

The King's Arms Hotel originally comprised the Kyleakin Hotel, built by J. Gillespie Graham around 1812 - 20, and a shooting lodge. Around 1898 the shooting lodge was converted into an hotel and both were combined in 1900 to become the King's Arms. At that time it was tenanted by Mr and Mrs Donald MacInnes, and remained the only licensed premises in the village until the outbreak of World War ll. Some of the well known guests to have stayed at the hotel include Thomas Carlyle, H.M. Stanley the explorer, and Sir Henry Wood the famous conductor.<br /> <br /> Donald Skinner, one of the hotel proprietors, ran the first bus tours to various parts of Skye. Before there was a telephone service to Skye, he devised a system to find out how many mainland visitors would be joining the tours each day. A colleague in Kyle would write the number on a blackboard, and Mr Skinner used a telescope from the front of the hotel to view the board and book the appropriate number of seats. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />