Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
On the way to Plockton
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00635
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12341
KEYWORDS
church
tin temple
Plockton
Rev Nicolson
war memorial
communion
On the way to Plockton

On the road into Plockton are Rev Sam Nicolson (seated) Church of Scotland Minister from 1918 to 1944, speaking to Mr Davidson, a local Fishery Officer. In the background is the War Memorial, a polished granite obelisk topped with a celtic cross. The Memorial has names of 20 men who died in the 1914 -1919 war inscribed on the face, and names of 8 men who died in the 1939 -1945 war on the polished base. In the left is the United Free Church, or in local parlance the 'Tin Temple'. This building was prefabricated by RR Spiers of Glasgow, erected in 1910 and later destroyed in 1970. In the field to the right of the photograph is where the open air church services were held


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

On the way to Plockton

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

church; tin temple; Plockton; Rev Nicolson; war memorial; communion

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

On the road into Plockton are Rev Sam Nicolson (seated) Church of Scotland Minister from 1918 to 1944, speaking to Mr Davidson, a local Fishery Officer. In the background is the War Memorial, a polished granite obelisk topped with a celtic cross. The Memorial has names of 20 men who died in the 1914 -1919 war inscribed on the face, and names of 8 men who died in the 1939 -1945 war on the polished base. In the left is the United Free Church, or in local parlance the 'Tin Temple'. This building was prefabricated by RR Spiers of Glasgow, erected in 1910 and later destroyed in 1970. In the field to the right of the photograph is where the open air church services were held <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />