Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Motoring across Strome Ferry
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00642
PLACENAME
Strome Ferry
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12352
KEYWORDS
pier
loch
Loch Carron
ferry
riot
Stromeferry
Motoring across Strome Ferry

A car ferry, photographed in the 1930s. Stromeferry is at the narrowest part of Loch Carron, with Strome Castle on the opposite shore. The original small settlement expanded rapidly when the railway from Inverness and Dingwall was built in 1870 and terminated at Stromeferry. It became a hive of activity, with passenger steamers to Portree on Skye, and to Stornoway on Lewis, using the pier, along with boats transporting mail, fish and cattle.

The use of the pier on Sundays caused a riot in June of 1883, when members of the Free Church, opposed to any work being undertaken on the Sabbath, prevented railway employees transferring boxes of fish from 2 steamers at the pier onto a train for transport to London. Some 150 local men succeeded in halting the loading until past midnight on the Sunday, but 10 of them spent several months in jail for their pains. After the railway was extended to Kyle of Lochalsh in 1897, much of the traffic transferred to Kyle, although the often busy ferry across the narrows continued until 1970 when the by-pass along the south shore of the loch was opened. The large pier pictured no longer exists


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Motoring across Strome Ferry

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

pier; loch; Loch Carron; ferry; riot; Stromeferry

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

A car ferry, photographed in the 1930s. Stromeferry is at the narrowest part of Loch Carron, with Strome Castle on the opposite shore. The original small settlement expanded rapidly when the railway from Inverness and Dingwall was built in 1870 and terminated at Stromeferry. It became a hive of activity, with passenger steamers to Portree on Skye, and to Stornoway on Lewis, using the pier, along with boats transporting mail, fish and cattle.<br /> <br /> The use of the pier on Sundays caused a riot in June of 1883, when members of the Free Church, opposed to any work being undertaken on the Sabbath, prevented railway employees transferring boxes of fish from 2 steamers at the pier onto a train for transport to London. Some 150 local men succeeded in halting the loading until past midnight on the Sunday, but 10 of them spent several months in jail for their pains. After the railway was extended to Kyle of Lochalsh in 1897, much of the traffic transferred to Kyle, although the often busy ferry across the narrows continued until 1970 when the by-pass along the south shore of the loch was opened. The large pier pictured no longer exists <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />