Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
King's Arms Hotel, Kyleakin, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00644
PLACENAME
Kyleakin
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Strath
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12354
KEYWORDS
hotel
village
Kyleakin
transport
bus
car
King's Arms Hotel, Kyleakin, Isle of Skye

The King's Arms Hotel originally comprised the Kyleakin Hotel, built by J. Gillespie Graham around 1812 - 20, and a shooting lodge. Around 1898 the shooting lodge was converted into a hotel and both were combined in 1900 to become the King's Arms. At that time it was tenanted by Mr and Mrs Donald MacInnes, and remained the only licensed premises in the village until the outbreak of World War ll. One of the proprietors, Donald Skinner, is remembered for being the first to introduce bus tours to various parts of Skye. However, the bus in this photograph, registered in Ross and Cromarty, belonged to Ronnie Maclean who operated the Highland Bus Company from c1929 to 1935 on Skye. This bus, parked on the grassy verge between the village and the shore, operated on the Dunvegan to Kyleakin run, via Sligachan, Drynoch and Struan


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

King's Arms Hotel, Kyleakin, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Strath

1930s

hotel; village;Kyleakin; transport; bus; car

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

The King's Arms Hotel originally comprised the Kyleakin Hotel, built by J. Gillespie Graham around 1812 - 20, and a shooting lodge. Around 1898 the shooting lodge was converted into a hotel and both were combined in 1900 to become the King's Arms. At that time it was tenanted by Mr and Mrs Donald MacInnes, and remained the only licensed premises in the village until the outbreak of World War ll. One of the proprietors, Donald Skinner, is remembered for being the first to introduce bus tours to various parts of Skye. However, the bus in this photograph, registered in Ross and Cromarty, belonged to Ronnie Maclean who operated the Highland Bus Company from c1929 to 1935 on Skye. This bus, parked on the grassy verge between the village and the shore, operated on the Dunvegan to Kyleakin run, via Sligachan, Drynoch and Struan <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />