Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Arnisdale Lodge and Camus Bàn
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00645
PLACENAME
Arnisdale
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Glenelg
DATE OF IMAGE
26 February 1931
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12356
KEYWORDS
house
village
Loch Hourn
bay
Arnisdale
Arnisdale Lodge and Camus Bàn

Arnisdale Lodge, built in 1898 by the architects Ross and Macbeth on the shores of Camus Bàn, is in the village of Arnisdale looking across Loch Hourn to the mountains of Knoydart. The photograph was taken on 26 February 1931. Commander Kitson is believed to have owned the Lodge at the time of Duncan Macpherson's visit. When the Duke and Duchess of York visited the area in 1933, the couple boarded the Commander's yacht, the Golden Hind, while it was moored off Kyle of Lochalsh.

The village of Arnisdale is almost at the end of a narrow, tortuous road, seen in the background of the photograph, which extends from Glenelg, past Sandaig, once the home of Gavin Maxwell, and finally peters out at Corran, several miles short of the deserted village of Kinloch Hourn at the head of Loch Hourn (Loch Hell). Arnisdale is a popular starting point for visiting Kinloch Hourn by boat, and also crossing to Knoydart, where the summit of Ladhar Bheinn, at 1020m, affords spectacular views of Skye, the Cuillin, Rum and Eigg


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Arnisdale Lodge and Camus Bàn

INVERNESS: Glenelg

1930s

house; village; Loch Hourn; bay; Arnisdale

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Arnisdale Lodge, built in 1898 by the architects Ross and Macbeth on the shores of Camus Bàn, is in the village of Arnisdale looking across Loch Hourn to the mountains of Knoydart. The photograph was taken on 26 February 1931. Commander Kitson is believed to have owned the Lodge at the time of Duncan Macpherson's visit. When the Duke and Duchess of York visited the area in 1933, the couple boarded the Commander's yacht, the Golden Hind, while it was moored off Kyle of Lochalsh. <br /> <br /> The village of Arnisdale is almost at the end of a narrow, tortuous road, seen in the background of the photograph, which extends from Glenelg, past Sandaig, once the home of Gavin Maxwell, and finally peters out at Corran, several miles short of the deserted village of Kinloch Hourn at the head of Loch Hourn (Loch Hell). Arnisdale is a popular starting point for visiting Kinloch Hourn by boat, and also crossing to Knoydart, where the summit of Ladhar Bheinn, at 1020m, affords spectacular views of Skye, the Cuillin, Rum and Eigg <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>