Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Bank of Scotland and Post Office, Kyle of Lochalsh
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00663
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12375
KEYWORDS
bank
post office
village
Main Street
Kyle of Lochalsh
Bank of Scotland and Post Office, Kyle of Lochalsh

These buildings, the Bank of Scotland on the left and the Post Office on the right, feature in several of Duncan Macpherson's photographs of Kyle, as they were near his pharmacy at the end of Main Street. The road on the left led to the jetty where ferries left for Skye, and to the right were various shops as well as another bank and the Kyle Hotel. Most of these buildings, including those pictured, were built when Kyle of Lochalsh expanded on the arrival of the railway in 1897. The fenced area in the foreground, where several buildings now stand, was the garden attached to the Commercial Bank


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Bank of Scotland and Post Office, Kyle of Lochalsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s

bank; post office; village; Main Street; Kyle of Lochalsh

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

These buildings, the Bank of Scotland on the left and the Post Office on the right, feature in several of Duncan Macpherson's photographs of Kyle, as they were near his pharmacy at the end of Main Street. The road on the left led to the jetty where ferries left for Skye, and to the right were various shops as well as another bank and the Kyle Hotel. Most of these buildings, including those pictured, were built when Kyle of Lochalsh expanded on the arrival of the railway in 1897. The fenced area in the foreground, where several buildings now stand, was the garden attached to the Commercial Bank <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />