Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Station Hotel, Kyle of Lochalsh
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00667
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12379
KEYWORDS
hotel
shore
Kyle of Lochalsh
Station Hotel
Station Hotel, Kyle of Lochalsh

Most Station Hotels are close to the railway station, but the one here at Kyle of Lochalsh was next to the jetty used for the ferry crossing to Skye. The jetty was on the far side of the hotel in this photograph. However, the road to the hotel and jetty was privately owned by LMS, the London Midland & Scottish Railway Company.

It has been suggested that the building was originally a lodge owned by Sir Alexander Matheson. His son, Sir Kenneth Matheson, sold it to the Railway Co. in about 1897 when the railway was extended from Stromeferry. The building has undergone many alterations over the years, including a name change in the 1950s to the Lochalsh Hotel


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Station Hotel, Kyle of Lochalsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s

hotel; shore; Kyle of Lochalsh; Station Hotel

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Most Station Hotels are close to the railway station, but the one here at Kyle of Lochalsh was next to the jetty used for the ferry crossing to Skye. The jetty was on the far side of the hotel in this photograph. However, the road to the hotel and jetty was privately owned by LMS, the London Midland & Scottish Railway Company. <br /> <br /> It has been suggested that the building was originally a lodge owned by Sir Alexander Matheson. His son, Sir Kenneth Matheson, sold it to the Railway Co. in about 1897 when the railway was extended from Stromeferry. The building has undergone many alterations over the years, including a name change in the 1950s to the Lochalsh Hotel <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />