Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kylerhea to Glenelg Ferry
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00675
PLACENAME
Kylerhea
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Sleat
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12386
KEYWORDS
ferry
motor launch
Neil Macpherson
Kylerhea
Glenelg
slipway
Kylerhea to Glenelg Ferry

Kylerhea is one of the oldest ferry crossings from Skye and was the main route for drovers taking their cattle to markets on the mainland. The cattle were tethered together and guided across the narrows at slack tide by a rowing boat. The photographer's son, Neil Macpherson, wearing the kilt, watches a transfer of passengers on the Glenelg motor launch which provided a seasonal service to Kyle of Lochalsh. The journey took about 75 minutes.

The building on the far shore, at one time known as the Ferry Inn, dates from about 1800 and was constructed on the site of the original inn where Johnson and Boswell stayed on the 1 September 1773 - Johnson pronounced the food inedible! It is now privately owned


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kylerhea to Glenelg Ferry

INVERNESS: Sleat

1930s

ferry; motor launch; Neil Macpherson; Kylerhea; Glenelg; slipway

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Kylerhea is one of the oldest ferry crossings from Skye and was the main route for drovers taking their cattle to markets on the mainland. The cattle were tethered together and guided across the narrows at slack tide by a rowing boat. The photographer's son, Neil Macpherson, wearing the kilt, watches a transfer of passengers on the Glenelg motor launch which provided a seasonal service to Kyle of Lochalsh. The journey took about 75 minutes. <br /> <br /> The building on the far shore, at one time known as the Ferry Inn, dates from about 1800 and was constructed on the site of the original inn where Johnson and Boswell stayed on the 1 September 1773 - Johnson pronounced the food inedible! It is now privately owned <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />