Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Duncraig Castle
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00702_AT
PLACENAME
Duncraig
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
2008
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
12412
KEYWORDS
Duncraig Castle
Sir Alexander Matheson
Sir Daniel Hamilton
Lady Hamilton
hospital
domestic science college
Duncraig Castle

Duncraig Castle, a large baronial mansion designed by Alexander Ross, was built in 1866 for Sir Alexander Matheson, who had bought the Lochalsh Estate in 1851. The house is 1.1km east of Plockton overlooking Loch Carron. It was owned by Sir Daniel and Lady Hamilton when it was requisitioned in 1939 for use as a Royal Naval hospital for the duration of the war. After Sir Daniel Hamilton's death, Lady Hamilton gifted the Castle and contents to the education authority for use as a domestic science college. This operated until 1989

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Duncraig Castle

ROSS: Lochalsh

2000s

Duncraig Castle; Sir Alexander Matheson; Sir Daniel Hamilton; Lady Hamilton; hospital; domestic science college

Andrew Taylor

Duncraig Castle, a large baronial mansion designed by Alexander Ross, was built in 1866 for Sir Alexander Matheson, who had bought the Lochalsh Estate in 1851. The house is 1.1km east of Plockton overlooking Loch Carron. It was owned by Sir Daniel and Lady Hamilton when it was requisitioned in 1939 for use as a Royal Naval hospital for the duration of the war. After Sir Daniel Hamilton's death, Lady Hamilton gifted the Castle and contents to the education authority for use as a domestic science college. This operated until 1989