Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Standing Stones of Callanish, Isle of Lewis
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00756
PLACENAME
Callanish
DISTRICT
Lewis
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Uig
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12453
KEYWORDS
Callanish
standing stones
Isle of Lewis
Lewisian gneiss
Standing Stones of Callanish, Isle of Lewis

Duncan Macpherson, the photographer, and his wife visited Lewis from Kyle of Lochalsh, sailing on the T.S.V. Loch Seaforth. He describes their trip in his book 'Lure of the West' referring to these impressive stones as the Callernish Stones - an older name occasionally used. The various recorded sites around the shores of Loch Roag on the west coast of Lewis where the standing stones are situated, date from the Bronze Age, with these stones being the finest. A circle of 13 standing stones surrounds a tall central monolith 4.75 metres high, with a single line of stones to the east, west and south, and a double line to the north. The stones are of Lewisian gneiss and were partially hidden by peat until 1857


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Standing Stones of Callanish, Isle of Lewis

ROSS: Uig

1940s

Callanish; standing stones; Isle of Lewis; Lewisian gneiss

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Duncan Macpherson, the photographer, and his wife visited Lewis from Kyle of Lochalsh, sailing on the T.S.V. Loch Seaforth. He describes their trip in his book 'Lure of the West' referring to these impressive stones as the Callernish Stones - an older name occasionally used. The various recorded sites around the shores of Loch Roag on the west coast of Lewis where the standing stones are situated, date from the Bronze Age, with these stones being the finest. A circle of 13 standing stones surrounds a tall central monolith 4.75 metres high, with a single line of stones to the east, west and south, and a double line to the north. The stones are of Lewisian gneiss and were partially hidden by peat until 1857 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />