Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ullapool
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00767
PLACENAME
Ullapool
DISTRICT
Lochbroom
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochbroom
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12462
KEYWORDS
loch
village
coast
herring
harbour
Ullapool

Ullapool was laid out in 1788 on the shore of the west coast sea loch, Loch Broom. The British Fisheries Society was behind the plan which aimed to take advantage of the herring shoals in the area, and indeed the village expanded throughout the early 19th century, until the herring deserted Loch Broom. Ullapool was deprived of its main industry and was brought close to collapse, only its harbour ensuring its survival. The harbour has been used by East coast trawlers fishing the Minch and the factory ships of Eastern Europe, while the car ferry from Stornoway on Lewis and improved road links to Inverness bring a steady influx of visitors. This photograph was taken looking north west on the approach road from Inverness


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ullapool

ROSS: Lochbroom

1930s; 1940s

loch; village; coast; herring; harbour

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Ullapool was laid out in 1788 on the shore of the west coast sea loch, Loch Broom. The British Fisheries Society was behind the plan which aimed to take advantage of the herring shoals in the area, and indeed the village expanded throughout the early 19th century, until the herring deserted Loch Broom. Ullapool was deprived of its main industry and was brought close to collapse, only its harbour ensuring its survival. The harbour has been used by East coast trawlers fishing the Minch and the factory ships of Eastern Europe, while the car ferry from Stornoway on Lewis and improved road links to Inverness bring a steady influx of visitors. This photograph was taken looking north west on the approach road from Inverness <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />