Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Main Street, Kyle of Lochalsh
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00777
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12472
KEYWORDS
Main Street
Kyle of Lochalsh
post office
bank
village
Pioneer Stores
Main Street, Kyle of Lochalsh

When Duncan Macpherson, the photographer, first moved to Kyle of Lochalsh in 1912, there were about 350 inhabitants and around 80 dwellings, most of which had been built since the arrival of the railway in 1897. The post office is on the left of the photograph and the corrugated iron building further up the road houses the Pioneer Stores which was reputed to sell everything "from a needle to an anchor". Macpherson comments in his book 'Gateway to Skye' that "one side of the road was regarded as a dumping place. There were heaps of stones, empty boxes, and barrels." He also notes that in the early part of the century, " the street showed signs of utter neglect. It was hollowed out with the traffic of years; and on wet days... a muddy stream followed a zig-zag course down the centre"


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Main Street, Kyle of Lochalsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s; 1930s

Main Street; Kyle of Lochalsh; post office; bank; village; Pioneer Stores

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

When Duncan Macpherson, the photographer, first moved to Kyle of Lochalsh in 1912, there were about 350 inhabitants and around 80 dwellings, most of which had been built since the arrival of the railway in 1897. The post office is on the left of the photograph and the corrugated iron building further up the road houses the Pioneer Stores which was reputed to sell everything "from a needle to an anchor". Macpherson comments in his book 'Gateway to Skye' that "one side of the road was regarded as a dumping place. There were heaps of stones, empty boxes, and barrels." He also notes that in the early part of the century, " the street showed signs of utter neglect. It was hollowed out with the traffic of years; and on wet days... a muddy stream followed a zig-zag course down the centre" <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />