Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Street scene in Kyle of Lochalsh
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00921
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12580
KEYWORDS
villages
roads
houses
Street scene in Kyle of Lochalsh

Kyle of Lochalsh was a small village consisting of just a few houses, an inn and a ferry crossing to Skye when the railway was extended from Stromeferry in 1897. The village grew rapidly and by the time Duncan Macpherson, the photographer, moved to the area in 1912 and set up his pharmacy near the jetty, there were around eighty dwellings spreading back up the rocky hillsides around Kyle. The railway cut through the centre of the village ending at the pier, where steamers called frequently. This photograph was taken from the top of Main Street after it crosses the railway bridge, looking inland along the Plockton road which was cut through the rock. Church Road leads off to the left


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Street scene in Kyle of Lochalsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s

villages; roads; houses

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Kyle of Lochalsh was a small village consisting of just a few houses, an inn and a ferry crossing to Skye when the railway was extended from Stromeferry in 1897. The village grew rapidly and by the time Duncan Macpherson, the photographer, moved to the area in 1912 and set up his pharmacy near the jetty, there were around eighty dwellings spreading back up the rocky hillsides around Kyle. The railway cut through the centre of the village ending at the pier, where steamers called frequently. This photograph was taken from the top of Main Street after it crosses the railway bridge, looking inland along the Plockton road which was cut through the rock. Church Road leads off to the left <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />