Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kyle Railway Pier and SS 'Lochness'
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00948
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12604
KEYWORDS
Lochness
steamer
MacBraynes
pier
Kyle Railway Pier and SS 'Lochness'

The SS 'Lochness', built for the MacBrayne ferry company in 1929, is seen here coming to the pier in Kyle of Lochalsh. The Lochness had her maiden voyage on Glasgow Fair Saturday, and took over the Mallaig - Kyle of Lochalsh - Stornoway route which had been covered by the SS 'Sheila' until she ran aground in 1927. The Lochness fuelled at Kyle, and a large oil storage tank had to be built there. It became a prominent feature of the pier. The Lochness was sold in 1955 to Italian owners, then in 1958 to Greek owners. She was renamed 'Myrtidiotissa', and ended her working days in the Aegean Islands


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kyle Railway Pier and SS 'Lochness'

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

Lochness; steamer; MacBraynes; pier

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

The SS 'Lochness', built for the MacBrayne ferry company in 1929, is seen here coming to the pier in Kyle of Lochalsh. The Lochness had her maiden voyage on Glasgow Fair Saturday, and took over the Mallaig - Kyle of Lochalsh - Stornoway route which had been covered by the SS 'Sheila' until she ran aground in 1927. The Lochness fuelled at Kyle, and a large oil storage tank had to be built there. It became a prominent feature of the pier. The Lochness was sold in 1955 to Italian owners, then in 1958 to Greek owners. She was renamed 'Myrtidiotissa', and ended her working days in the Aegean Islands <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />