Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Balmacara in the 1920s
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00951
PLACENAME
Balmacara
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12607
KEYWORDS
Balmacara
National Trust
MacKenzie
Innes
Matheson
Hamilton
Kyle of Lochalsh
gardens
crofts
Balmacara in the 1920s

Balmacara is a small township near Kyle of Lochalsh, part of an estate of the same name. The Balmacara and Lochalsh estates belonged to the Seaforth MacKenzies until 1801 when they were bought by Sir Hugh Innes, who carried out significant improvements. On Sir Hugh's death in 1831, Mr J. W. Lillingston and his wife Katherine - Sir Hugh's niece, took over the estate and are remembered as generous benefactors in the area. In 1853, the estate was sold to Sir Alexander Matheson MP, then to Sir Daniel Hamilton in 1919. His widow, Lady Margaret Hamilton assumed ownership on condition that it be left to the National Trust for Scotland on her death. The estate was formally passed to the Trust in 1947. The estate includes the villages of Kyle of Lochalsh and Plockton, the Lochalsh Woodland Gardens, and has many active crofts, with 75% of the estate in crofting tenure


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Balmacara in the 1920s

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s

Balmacara; National Trust; MacKenzie; Innes;Matheson; Hamilton; Kyle of Lochalsh; gardens; crofts

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Balmacara is a small township near Kyle of Lochalsh, part of an estate of the same name. The Balmacara and Lochalsh estates belonged to the Seaforth MacKenzies until 1801 when they were bought by Sir Hugh Innes, who carried out significant improvements. On Sir Hugh's death in 1831, Mr J. W. Lillingston and his wife Katherine - Sir Hugh's niece, took over the estate and are remembered as generous benefactors in the area. In 1853, the estate was sold to Sir Alexander Matheson MP, then to Sir Daniel Hamilton in 1919. His widow, Lady Margaret Hamilton assumed ownership on condition that it be left to the National Trust for Scotland on her death. The estate was formally passed to the Trust in 1947. The estate includes the villages of Kyle of Lochalsh and Plockton, the Lochalsh Woodland Gardens, and has many active crofts, with 75% of the estate in crofting tenure <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />