Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Applecross Church
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00963
PLACENAME
Applecross
DISTRICT
Lochcarron
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Applecross
PERIOD
1910s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12619
KEYWORDS
churches
graveyards
Applecross
Applecross Church

Saint Maelrubha founded a Celtic Christian church on the west coast of the Applecross Peninsula in 673AD. It lasted 2 centuries, but only fragments of cross-slabs remain. The Old Parish church pictured has been disused for many years, and indeed was no longer used for worship when the photographer Duncan Macpherson visited, which he did on several occasions. Sometimes he came by boat, and sometimes by the high road over the Bealach na Ba (Pass of the Cattle) from Lochcarron. The roofless, ivy-clad, burial enclosure in the graveyard was possibly a chapel dating from the 15th century, but the church itself was built in around 1817


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Applecross Church

ROSS: Applecross

1910s

churches; graveyards; Applecross

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Saint Maelrubha founded a Celtic Christian church on the west coast of the Applecross Peninsula in 673AD. It lasted 2 centuries, but only fragments of cross-slabs remain. The Old Parish church pictured has been disused for many years, and indeed was no longer used for worship when the photographer Duncan Macpherson visited, which he did on several occasions. Sometimes he came by boat, and sometimes by the high road over the Bealach na Ba (Pass of the Cattle) from Lochcarron. The roofless, ivy-clad, burial enclosure in the graveyard was possibly a chapel dating from the 15th century, but the church itself was built in around 1817 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />