Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
MV 'Portree' at Kyle jetty
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00981
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12634
KEYWORDS
ferries
M.V. Portree
Kyle of Lochalsh
jetties
ferry boats
MV 'Portree' at Kyle jetty

This photograph is thought to have been taken on the first day the MV 'Portree' was in service on the Kyle - Kyleakin ferry route. The ferry is approaching the recently-enlarged and resurfaced jetty, with the Lochalsh Hotel grounds in the background. When the railway reached Kyle of Lochalsh in 1897, goods and passengers were transported to Skye by means of rowing boats. Even when cars became more common, they too were rowed across, until a motor boat was introduced after the Great War.

New and more substantial ferries carrying increased numbers of cars were introduced in the 1950s and 1960s to try to keep pace with increased traffic, but waiting times of four hours at busy periods were not unknown. These delays were not fully dealt with until the early 1970s when end-loading ferries carrying 28 cars were put onto the route


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

MV 'Portree' at Kyle jetty

ROSS: Lochalsh

1950s

ferries; M.V. Portree; Kyle of Lochalsh; jetties; ferry boats

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

This photograph is thought to have been taken on the first day the MV 'Portree' was in service on the Kyle - Kyleakin ferry route. The ferry is approaching the recently-enlarged and resurfaced jetty, with the Lochalsh Hotel grounds in the background. When the railway reached Kyle of Lochalsh in 1897, goods and passengers were transported to Skye by means of rowing boats. Even when cars became more common, they too were rowed across, until a motor boat was introduced after the Great War. <br /> <br /> New and more substantial ferries carrying increased numbers of cars were introduced in the 1950s and 1960s to try to keep pace with increased traffic, but waiting times of four hours at busy periods were not unknown. These delays were not fully dealt with until the early 1970s when end-loading ferries carrying 28 cars were put onto the route <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />