Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kyle Jetty with the Station Hotel
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00985
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1910s; 1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12637
KEYWORDS
path
strait
sail boat
launch
ferry
jetty
hotel
Kyle Jetty with the Station Hotel

Duncan Macpherson's pharmacy stood close to the road leading down to the jetty from where the ferries crossed to Skye. He often strolled along the path, pictured on the left, which led round to the station and railway pier, carrying his camera in case a photo opportunity presented itself. This view, looking west from the shore path, takes in Kyleakin on Skye across the strait, a boat making sail, and the Glenelg motor launch at the slip filling with passengers. The large house alongside the jetty was originally a Lodge owned by the Matheson family, but was sold to the Railway Company around 1897 to become the Station Hotel, and by the 1940s, after much developing, the Lochalsh Hotel


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kyle Jetty with the Station Hotel

ROSS: Lochalsh

1910s; 1920s

path; strait; sail boat; launch; ferry; jetty; hotel;

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Duncan Macpherson's pharmacy stood close to the road leading down to the jetty from where the ferries crossed to Skye. He often strolled along the path, pictured on the left, which led round to the station and railway pier, carrying his camera in case a photo opportunity presented itself. This view, looking west from the shore path, takes in Kyleakin on Skye across the strait, a boat making sail, and the Glenelg motor launch at the slip filling with passengers. The large house alongside the jetty was originally a Lodge owned by the Matheson family, but was sold to the Railway Company around 1897 to become the Station Hotel, and by the 1940s, after much developing, the Lochalsh Hotel <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>