Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
North Strome
EXTERNAL ID
HCD01007
PLACENAME
Stromemore
DISTRICT
Lochcarron
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochcarron
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12651
KEYWORDS
ferries
lochs
Loch Carron
North Strome

North Strome lies on the northern shore of the Loch Carron narrows, opposite Stromeferry. The railway from Dingwall terminated at Stromeferry until 1897, with regular steamer services meeting the trains. However the "ferry" referred to in the name crossed to North Strome and it was once a vital link in the road network from Kyle of Lochalsh to Achnasheen, Dingwall and Inverness. Once a road was built in 1971 along the southern shore of the loch, alongside the railway line, the ferry service closed and the sign for the village now reads "Stromeferry (No Ferry)"

When the Kyle road was closed by landslides in 2012, however, the ferry at Strome was reinstated briefly for foot passengers, especially school children, saving them a very long daily road journey.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

North Strome

ROSS: Lochcarron

1930s; 1940s

ferries; lochs; Loch Carron

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

North Strome lies on the northern shore of the Loch Carron narrows, opposite Stromeferry. The railway from Dingwall terminated at Stromeferry until 1897, with regular steamer services meeting the trains. However the "ferry" referred to in the name crossed to North Strome and it was once a vital link in the road network from Kyle of Lochalsh to Achnasheen, Dingwall and Inverness. Once a road was built in 1971 along the southern shore of the loch, alongside the railway line, the ferry service closed and the sign for the village now reads "Stromeferry (No Ferry)"<br /> <br /> When the Kyle road was closed by landslides in 2012, however, the ferry at Strome was reinstated briefly for foot passengers, especially school children, saving them a very long daily road journey. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />