Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Manse, Glenelg
EXTERNAL ID
HCD01018
PLACENAME
Glenelg
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Glenelg
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12659
KEYWORDS
manse
Glenelg
Church of Scotland
The Manse, Glenelg

Glenelg is a small village on the shore of Glenelg Bay, looking across to the Isle of Skye. It is bound on three sides by sea - Loch Duich, the Sound of Sleat and Loch Hourn - and has only one access road over Mam Ratagan from Glen Shiel. Known until the 18th century as Kirkton, the village grew up round a parish church, and expanded with the arrival of the army and the building of the Bernera Barracks in 1717. The village is also well known as the location of two well preserved Iron Age brochs, and was once the main crossing point for cattle droves from Skye to the mainland. A small ferry still plies the route during the summer months. In his book "Gateway to Skye", Duncan Macpherson describes a visit he made to the village, including having a meal with the minister and his wife at the Manse


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Manse, Glenelg

INVERNESS: Glenelg

1920s; 1930s

manse; Glenelg; Church of Scotland

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Glenelg is a small village on the shore of Glenelg Bay, looking across to the Isle of Skye. It is bound on three sides by sea - Loch Duich, the Sound of Sleat and Loch Hourn - and has only one access road over Mam Ratagan from Glen Shiel. Known until the 18th century as Kirkton, the village grew up round a parish church, and expanded with the arrival of the army and the building of the Bernera Barracks in 1717. The village is also well known as the location of two well preserved Iron Age brochs, and was once the main crossing point for cattle droves from Skye to the mainland. A small ferry still plies the route during the summer months. In his book "Gateway to Skye", Duncan Macpherson describes a visit he made to the village, including having a meal with the minister and his wife at the Manse <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />