Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Church of Scotland, Kyle of Lochalsh
EXTERNAL ID
HCD01019
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12660
KEYWORDS
Church of Scotland
James Robertson
Stromeferry
Church of Scotland, Kyle of Lochalsh

The Church of Scotland, pictured here at the top of the hill on Church Road in Kyle of Lochalsh, was built as a Mission Church and officially opened on the 25th July 1901. The extension of the railway to Kyle from Strome Ferry prompted its construction, as local people foresaw the inevitable increase in population in the village which a railway terminus would create. A Press account of the time describes the church as being of 'severely Gothic design, seated for 180 worshippers, faultless and extremely tasteful in every respect'. The vestry was added to the right hand side of the church in 1915 at a cost of two hundred and fifty-six pounds, eighteen shillings and a penny. The Lochalsh Parish minister was responsible for Worship, but was assisted by missionaries until 1939.

The house to the left of the church is known as 'Kingillie' and was built for a Mr Macrae, one of three brothers who all built houses in the area. Duncan Macpherson, the Kyle pharmacist who took this photograph, also lived in Church Road near the church, and in fact the photograph was probably taken from his garden.

The building on the right is the Drill Hall which was erected by the Territorial Association in 1912, primarily for training purposes, but it was also used for dances and concerts, and some Sunday services. Originally the hall had no platform, seating or even lighting, but in spite of these drawbacks the hall was popular for local entertainment events. During World War I, the Red Cross fitted up the hall as a Soldiers Rest and canteen for servicemen passing through Kyle, often travelling home to the Western Isles.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Church of Scotland, Kyle of Lochalsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

1940s

Church of Scotland; James Robertson; Stromeferry

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

The Church of Scotland, pictured here at the top of the hill on Church Road in Kyle of Lochalsh, was built as a Mission Church and officially opened on the 25th July 1901. The extension of the railway to Kyle from Strome Ferry prompted its construction, as local people foresaw the inevitable increase in population in the village which a railway terminus would create. A Press account of the time describes the church as being of 'severely Gothic design, seated for 180 worshippers, faultless and extremely tasteful in every respect'. The vestry was added to the right hand side of the church in 1915 at a cost of two hundred and fifty-six pounds, eighteen shillings and a penny. The Lochalsh Parish minister was responsible for Worship, but was assisted by missionaries until 1939. <br /> <br /> The house to the left of the church is known as 'Kingillie' and was built for a Mr Macrae, one of three brothers who all built houses in the area. Duncan Macpherson, the Kyle pharmacist who took this photograph, also lived in Church Road near the church, and in fact the photograph was probably taken from his garden.<br /> <br /> The building on the right is the Drill Hall which was erected by the Territorial Association in 1912, primarily for training purposes, but it was also used for dances and concerts, and some Sunday services. Originally the hall had no platform, seating or even lighting, but in spite of these drawbacks the hall was popular for local entertainment events. During World War I, the Red Cross fitted up the hall as a Soldiers Rest and canteen for servicemen passing through Kyle, often travelling home to the Western Isles. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />