Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cattle at the Railway Pier
EXTERNAL ID
HCD01032
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12668
KEYWORDS
railway pier
Kyle of Lochalsh
cattle
fuel tank
Cattle at the Railway Pier

With the extension of the line from Stromeferry to Kyle of Lochalsh in 1897, the village grew quickly to become a busy port on the west coast, and an important location for the transportation of livestock, especially from the islands on the west. The engineering on the final part of the Kyle line made it the most expensive railway of the time, with 31 rock cuttings and 29 bridges built on this section alone, and the station itself in Kyle, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock. The fuel storage tank in the background was erected initially to supply the S.S. Lochness which called at Kyle from 1930 onwards, en route for Stornoway


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cattle at the Railway Pier

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

railway pier; Kyle of Lochalsh; cattle; fuel tank

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

With the extension of the line from Stromeferry to Kyle of Lochalsh in 1897, the village grew quickly to become a busy port on the west coast, and an important location for the transportation of livestock, especially from the islands on the west. The engineering on the final part of the Kyle line made it the most expensive railway of the time, with 31 rock cuttings and 29 bridges built on this section alone, and the station itself in Kyle, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock. The fuel storage tank in the background was erected initially to supply the S.S. Lochness which called at Kyle from 1930 onwards, en route for Stornoway <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />